What is it about holidays that makes them think they’re better than normal days? What makes December 25th better than October 9th or April 23rd? I think it’s time we show more appreciation for regular days. Celebrate the in-between moments. Like January 14th. It’s not a holiday. There’s no significance. But isn’t that good? Holidays are typically infinitely more stressful than the average day. For one reason only: If today isn’t the birthday of someone in your family, then it’s reasonable to assume that you don’t have to spend the day with all of your relatives. Which is always nice. And isn’t that reason enough to celebrate? Join me now in recognizing the things that make today, January 14th, a great day.
- Grant Gustin, who is best known for playing one of my favorite characters, the Flash, in one of my least favorite TV shows, The Flash, was born 32 years ago today.
- On January 14th, 1699, a day of fasting was held in Massachusetts was held as punishment for those who wrongfully persecuted witches. Because that makes perfect sense. “Margaret, don’t put the roast in the crock pot today. We’re being punished for all those women we burned, remember?”
- Dave Grohl, drummer for the band Nirvana and founder/lead singer of The Foo Fighters, was born 53 years ago.
- The clarinet was created in Germany in 1690.
- Benedict Arnold, otherwise known as the drummer for Nirvana and the founder and lead singer of The Foo Fighters, was born 281 years ago today.
- In 1936, entrepreneur Amadeo Giannini became was elected the President of the Bank of America.
- January 14th is National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day.
- January 15th is National Cold Pastrami Sandwich Day.
- In 1966 David Bowie released his first single, “Can’t Help Thinking About Me”.
- 56 years later we still can’t help thinking about them.
- On January 14th, 2011, The Green Hornet debuted in cinemas around the world.
- January 14th, 2022 – I write this post because I can’t think of anything else to do.
Remember to always celebrate the regular days and see them for what makes them special.